My 60's Staten Island

A look at Staten Island in the 1960's from someone that lived it, and Loved it.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida, United States

I left S.I. in 1971 when I joined the Navy. I have been Married twice. My second Marriage has now lasted 29 Years, and I am Married to a Wonderful S.I. Girl. I have 3 Children. My Daughter is 34, My Sons are 26, and 23. I have 2 Handsome Grandsons.

Friday, February 11, 2005

A NEW ERA

It was the Summer of 1959. We were living in the Bronx. Boston Road to be exact. We were tenants in a large Apartment Building (6th Floor Front). On the 1st Floor was a stereotypical Luncheonette/Candy Store. It was a typical Bronx City Street. My Father had just recently gotten a new job; He was now a proud New York City Fireman. His previous job was on the crew of the Staten Island Ferry Boats. On this specific Day; Dad came Home with His First Car. He had bought a used 1954 Ford (Green). After the excitement of checking out the new Car; there was an announcement: Dad said; We are Moving to Staten Island. Now I knew something about S.I.. My Grandmother lived there. I would sometimes visit Her, and Grandpa in their Home in the Country (S.I.). They lived in Great Kills. I was ecstatic!!. To Me Staten Island was a place full of Woods, not many Cars, and even some Farms with Animals. What a great place this would be for a 5 year old from the Bronx. My Sister was still a Toddler so None of this move meant anything to Her yet. Dad drove us from our Apartment through New Jersey, and across the Goethals Bridge. Eventually We came to our new Home. It was an Apartment in a large House in Dongan Hills. It was on a Street known as Overlook Avenue, and was up on a Hill. Our Living Room, and Kitchen were in the Basement while the 2 Bedrooms were on the actual 1st Floor. The only access to the Bathroom was through My Bedroom; so sometimes I did not get much sleep with all the activity passing through. It might not have been much of an Apartment, but to Me; it was Heaven. Since We were up on this Hill; You could from the front Yard see much of the Island as well as lower New York Harbor. Between the House We were in, and the next House was about an acre of Woods. To Me; this might as well been a Forest, and in the next few Years; it will get much attention from this Young Fellow. I would soon be starting School. My Parents took Me to be registered at the local Public School for 1st Grade (P.S. 48). Within the month; I will be starting My Education, and many memories of My less than perfect Student experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home