My 60's Staten Island

A look at Staten Island in the 1960's from someone that lived it, and Loved it.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida, United States

I left S.I. in 1971 when I joined the Navy. I have been Married twice. My second Marriage has now lasted 29 Years, and I am Married to a Wonderful S.I. Girl. I have 3 Children. My Daughter is 34, My Sons are 26, and 23. I have 2 Handsome Grandsons.

Thursday, March 03, 2005

1st Year on the Island

Well... It is September 1959; I am now a Staten Island resident. It is Monday morning, and I am about to start My first Day of School. First I want to give a little more backround on Myself;;;; When I lived in the Bronx I was very independant for a 5, or 6 year old. The Candy Store downstairs from My Apartment was (to me) like a miniature Disneyland. Everything a Kid my age wanted was there for the buying. They even sold (for 10 cents) Slingshots. I really had a thing for these precious items, but My Parents did not want Me to have them (gee I wonder why?). So at age 5 I started My own little Shoeshine business. My whole intent was just to have enough each Day for a Slingshot, and then throw it away before I had to be in the House. Well.. I did pretty good. My guess is that a 5 year old Shining Shoes was a novelty so I made pretty good Money. After My Parents figured what I was up to; I switched to begging on the Street. I even took My Toddler Sister with Me while I regaled People with My tales of poverty, and Parents not at Home. When Dad found out; My Butt was red for a week. In September 1958; I was supposed to start Kindergarten at the School up the Street. I had a Friend a few Years older than Me. Since I was sent out (on My own) to get to School on the first Day: He talked Me into playing Hookey. Kindergarten was optional at the time; My Parents decided not to pursue it after I was caught, and I had to wait a Year before actually starting School.....O.K.: So here we are back at P.S. 48 on Staten Island. My Parents took no chances; they accompanied Me to School, and got Me to My Class. The Teacher was a Gray Haired Lady that liked to wear clothes just like those worn by Mrs. Cleaver (Beaver's Mom). Her name was; Mrs. McWilliams. I believe that She saw right through the cute exterior that I put out. This Woman never liked Me. I tried all the Kid tricks I knew to get over on Her, and they seldom worked. I soon had a Girlfriend in the Class, and I had a habit of stealing Kisses from Her every chance I got. One Day Mrs. McWiliams caught Me. I was told (by her) that I must stay after School. At the end of the Day; She took everyone else out, and to the Buses. I was left in the room. This was a new experience for Me, and I was confused. I began to think that I had been forgotten. Within a few moments; I was out on the Window Ledge screaming for someone to get Me. Well; This Classroom was on the 3rd Floor, and for some reason; a Kid out on the Ledge was not a good thing. People on the ground were Yelling up at Me. Others soon were in the Classroom trying to coax Me in. Within moments the Firetruck arrived, and I got to come down off the Building on the Ladder from the Hook, and Ladder Truck. Among the Kids; I was a big shot, among the Adults; I was lucky to Be alive. To My Parents; I was a Dead Kid. My Butt got another visit from Dad's Hand. I believe that Mrs. McWilliams got in trouble for this. She never really bothered me again, but I would meet up with Her again Years later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home